M-Sport welcomed another British hero to the service park at Wales Rally GB this weekend as double gold medal winning Olympic rower, Pete Reed, joined the team for a once in a lifetime passenger ride experience.
With an impressive career record, Reed has achieved two gold medals and three silver medals in the World Championships, and earned gold medals in the Men’s coxless four at the 2008 Beijing and 2012 London Olympics.
Sitting alongside Northern Irishman Alastair Fisher during Shakedown on Wednesday, the Olympian was given the ride of his life behind the wheel of a Ford Fiesta S2000.
Pete Reed said:
“It was unbelievable. I went out in the car [Ford Fiesta S2000] with Alastair [Fisher] – he’s a fascinating chap and is obviously very talented and loving what he does.
“It was phenomenal. I thought we were racing and I was already a little bit scared when we slowed down and came to a stop. I asked him where we were and he said we were at the start line!
“When the red lights came on [to signal the start of the stage] his reactions were extraordinary. We are used to doing something similar in rowing – we watch for a green light going out so my reactions have to be pretty good – but his [Fisher’s] were razor sharp!
“The acceleration and braking points were something else! My body was completely rigid and so tensed up. I nearly broke poor Daniel’s seat [co-driver, Barritt] – largely because I am so large – and I was pressing so hard on the foot-well that I am sure I almost broke that too!
“It has been a wonderful day and a wonderful experience. I had my eyes open the whole time and I don’t think I let out any girly yelps but I have the footage to take a look at later.
“It was a real pleasure to be here at a WRC event and we have been hosted so well by Ford and M-Sport. I love motorsport and I am here with my dad and fiancé. It has been a cracking day and everyone has been so welcoming and also very keen to see my gold medals which is always nice!”
Alastair Fisher said:
“It was great for me to have somebody like Pete in the car, a real honour. He was quite a big guy, but we managed to get him in. He’d never been in a rally car before, so it was something completely new for him.
“I’m not sure he knew what to expect – he thought we were already on the stage when we were just getting up to the start line! But when we got to the end, he seemed to think it was pretty awesome.”
- Xevi Pons and Ford Fiesta S2000 triumph in S-WRC showdown
- Alastair Fisher to contest Rally of Scotland in Fiesta S2000
- Prokop leads the way for Ford Fiesta S2000 crews in Finland
- Prokop leads the way for Ford Fiesta S2000 crews in Germany
- Ford Fiesta s2000 crews strive for Sardinian success
- Delight for Ford as Fiesta S2000 claims two podium spots in Finland
- Ford Fiesta S2000 crews set for German asphalt challenge
- Castrol Ford Team Türkiye claim a double victory with Ford Fiesta S2000
- Martin Prokop – Ford Fiesta RS WRC – Onboard Experience
- Pontus Tidemand wins East Rally Sweden and secures gold with Ford Fiesta S2000 in Swedish Championship