The fourth participation in Barum Czech Rally Zlín meant victory for Škoda Motosport factory driver Juno Hänninen. His victory has, however, a bitter taste. The rally was prematurely stopped after the accident of crew no. 32 with Subaru Impreza STi, which happened at SS 13 Halenkovice. The car got off the track, and the reasons are still unknown. During the accident one of the spectators suffered injuries not compatible with life.
Other three positions in final results were occupied by Czech drivers. The second was Roman Kresta, the third was Tomáš Kostka and a big surprise was Tarabus, who finished in the fourth place. The rally was dominated by Škoda Fabia S2000 cars, which occupy first six places. Over the three days, the spectators could watch exciting competition between the leading Scandinavian drivers Juho Hänninen and Andreas Mikkelsen, and last year’s winner Jan Kopecký from the Czech Republic. The victories of individual super stages belonged to these drivers.
Before Sunday’s leg, Hänninen led by 11 seconds over his team colleagues Kopecký, followed by Mikkelsen with half a minute. However, the Sunday’s stages shuffled the progressive results in first ten positions. In the first SS, Mikkelsen lost five minutes due to two punctures and then only Škoda factory drivers fought for the first place. In the SS 13, Hänninen’s biggest rival Kopecký retired due to the problems with the engine. Andreas Aigner from Austria was the fastest in IRC Production cars; the 2WD was won by Jan Černý with Citroën. The number of registered crews was 99 from 23 states and 64 of them finished the race.
Final Results Barum Czech Rally Zlín 2012:
1. Hänninen, Markkula (FIN, Škoda Fabia S2000) 2:11:28,2 hours
2. Kresta, Gross (CZE, Škoda Fabia S2000) + 1:43,1 mins
3. T. Kostka, Houšť (CZE, Škoda Fabia S2000) + 1:51,8 mins
4. Tarabus, Trunkát (CZE, Škoda Fabia S2000) + 4:11,7 mins
5. Barrable, Loudon (IRL/GBR, Škoda Fabia S2000) + 4:33,6 mins
6. Kruuda, Järveoja (EST, Škoda Fabia S2000) + 5:03,0 mins
7. Aigner, Minorová (AUT, Subaru Impreza STi R4) + 5:34,6 mins
8. Mikkelsen, Floene (NOR, Škoda Fabia S2000) + 5:35,8 mins
9. Sołowow, Baran (POL, Peugeot 207 S2000) + 6:18,7 mins
10. Wiegand, Gottschalk (DEU, Škoda Fabia S2000) + 7:21,8 mins
- Skoda fills top 8 in IRC Barum Rally 2012
- The last year’s winner was the fastest after Super SS
- This year’s second victory by reigning IRC champion
- Andreas Mikkelsen takes the boss for a high-speed rally drive
- Freddy Loix has won Barum Czech Rally Zlin 2010
- Champion Juho Hänninen expects tough Barum Rally Zlín fight
- Drama as Juho Hänninen crashes out
- Juho Hänninen reveals Rally Yalta 2011 victory secrets
- New team manager for ŠKODA UK squad
- Juho Hänninen tries Mikkelsen’s Fabia for size