Supporting the Motorsport Industry Association (MIA) and National Motorsport Week, M-Sport looked to reward the dedication of marshals in the north of England with a once in a lifetime opportunity to co-drive a stage alongside British Rally Champion and M-Sport Managing Director, Malcolm Wilson, this weekend.
Aiming to provide a platform to reach out and inspire newscomers to motorsport and generate more interest, spectators, competitors, jobs, officials and marshals, National Motorsport Week has been long supported by M-Sport – Wilson himself a director on the board of the MIA.
Running his historic Ford Escort Mk2 as the double zero car on this weekend’s Greystoke Stages, Wilson was navigated by two enthusiastic marshals: Alan Tiffin from Hutton Roof near Penrith, Cumbria and Ellie Smith from Bradford, Yorkshire.
Tiffin, a valued member of the local rallying community, was lucky enough to be drawn from the seventy marshals who signed on to aid the smooth-running of the one-day event. Smith, a member of the ‘Rotating Ferrets’ motorclub in Yorkshire, was randomly selected from a whole host of applicants who applied for the experience in the lead-up to the rally.
Alan Tiffin said:
“It was absolutely fantastic. Being from the local area and helping out on various M-Sport events, I have been lucky enough to sit in with Matthew [Wilson] in the [Ford] Focus [RS WRC], but this was something else! Malcolm has clearly lost none of his driving skill. There was so much sideways action, his feet were constantly working the pedals and the noise was unreal. It was amazing.”
Ellie Smith said:
“That was amazing! I have no-one to compare Malcolm to other than my husband, who is a horrendous driver, but he was brilliant. I think I might have to investigate a budding career as a co-driver now!
“It was a great experience and I really appreciate the recognition for marshalling. A big thanks to everyone at M-Sport who made this possible and for making me feel so welcome on the day.”
Photo: Keith Robinson Photography
- M-Sport offer marshals a chance to swap places and navigate
- M-Sport’s Ford Fiesta RS WRC visits House of Lords
- M-Sport look to speed and experience for strong points in the Principality
- Speed and experience bring record result for M-Sport
- M-Sport to support FIA WRC Academy from Krakow in Poland
- 3M Peltor continues partnership with M-Sport
- M-Sport wins at National Council for Work Experience Awards
- M-Sport support National Motorsport Week with open day
- British Motorsport Marshals Club NI annual training day
- Carlos Sainz helps M-Sport celebrate 200th world rally in Spain