Ford World Rally Team driver Jari-Matti Latvala set four world speed records* in a Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost road car during a two-day event in France, during which 16 new records* were created.
The 27-year-old Finn, who spearheads Ford’s challenge in the FIA World Rally Championship, was part of a 12-man team which set 16 Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) speed world records* over distances ranging from 1km (0.6 miles) to 4104.7km (2550.5 miles).
Latvala joined 11 drivers, including eight journalists from France and the United States, for the record attempt at the CERAM test circuit in Mortefontaine, France. They drove three 125PS Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost cars, identical to those sold in Ford dealerships throughout Europe.
Latvala set the ‘sub-1.0-litre class’ world records* for times recorded covering 1km and 1 mile from both a standing start and a flying start. He also drove the opening leg of a 24-hour timed session, during which new records* were set for the highest average speed over six, 12 and 24 hours and 500 miles, 1000km and 1000 miles.
“This little engine punches way above its weight when it comes to performance,” said Latvala, whose regular ride is a 304PS Ford Fiesta RS World Rally Car. “The records prove the Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost can be lots of fun – as well as a very frugal car.”
To be eligible, each car was required to be run-in under the supervision of an official FFSA (Fédération Française du Sport Automobile) steward, after being selected from the Ford manufacturing facility in Saarlouis, Germany.
The highest average speed recorded was 191.056 km/h (118.716 mph) during the setting of the world record for the highest average speed over one hour*.
The 125 PS Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost is capable of 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) acceleration in 11.3 seconds and a top speed of 193 km/h (120 mph). It delivers fuel efficiency of 5.0 l/100 km (56.5 mpg) and CO2 emissions of 114 g/km**.
The full list of Latvala’s records is as follows*:
RECORD / AVERAGE SPEED
Standing start 1 kilometre /113.522km/h
Standing start 1 mile / 79.402mph
Flying start 1 kilometre / 176.168km/h
Flying start 1 mile /108.548mph
Highest average speed over 1000 km (joint) / 164.361km/h
Highest average speed over 500 miles (joint) / 102.656mph
Highest average speed over 1000 miles (joint) / 103.357mph
Highest average speed over 6 hours (joint) / 165.555km/h (102.871mph)
Highest average speed over 12 hours (joint) / 166.784km/h (103.634mph)
Highest average speed over 24 hours (joint) / 171.029km/h (106.272mph)
- Jari-Matti Latvala sets the pace during second day of Rally de España
- Jari-Matti Latvala leads for Ford in Greece after Solberg wins qualifying
- Jari-Matti Latvala wins Rally Sweden as Ford nets six of the best
- Ford film crew goes behind the scenes with Jari-Matti Latvala
- Jari-Matti Latvala leads Ford recovery after troubled morning in Mexico
- Jari-Matti Latvala wins Rally GB as Ford claims podium clean sweep
- Inspired Jari-Matti Latvala charges into Rally GB lead for Ford
- Jari-Matti Latvala claims four wins as Ford battles back in Mexican heat
- Jari-Matti Latvala edged out of Jordan win in world rallying’s closest finish
- Jari-Matti Latvala soars after Rally Sweden triumph